Saturday, November 27, 2010

Coming home to an empty house is never easy

To the Boy whose Heart I Broke

I expected the emptiness
When I came home tonight.
But the pictures, every one,
You had of us together,
Returned, caught me
By surprise.

The gifts too,
Those you had given me
And I to you, the bears,
The picture on the wall,
A gift from our first Christmas,
I was not prepared to find.

It was as if you took no trace of me,
No reminder that I had ever been a part
Of your life. As if maybe,
Eventually, my memory would fade.
And you could live as if
I had never existed at all.

Or maybe you were afraid
That if you did not leave them,
I would be the one to forget.
I can only guess now.
But I will keep them,
Just in case you do forget
To make the pain lessen.

I'll bear the burden of my choice
So someone will know
The story of us, of the rings
And the bears and the pictures.

Ironic that you left so much
That cuts so deeply,
Except for the one thing
I searched the whole house over for:

A goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment